Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Veterinary Spending Part 2

I liked to a graph a couple of days ago showing pet and human healthcare spending and their remarkably similar growth rates. I found the graph pretty interesting but ultimately useless since I didn't know the growth rate of pets. Well, Zubin Jelveh over at The Stash ran the numbers and came up with a very rough graph of per-capital vet and human healthcare spending:

[O]ne source (to get the needed data) is the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), which puts out a survey roughly every five years on the pet population in the U.S. going back to 1983. (And possibly earlier, but I couldn't recover earlier surveys.) Using figures from those surveys on the population of cats, dogs, birds, and horses -- which grew from 125 million to 172 million between 1983 and 2007 -- and Biggs' veterinary services spending, I calculated per-capita expenditures for pet care between 1984 and 2006. I did the same for humans and rebased everything to $1 in 1984:


As you can see, pet care grows at a much slower than humans. My original caveats about per-capita spending are still applicable and given the models limitations (ie he lumped many different types of animals together) I still think this is has limited relevancy. Ideally, it would weigh the various animals given how much they contribute to the overall spending, but even that wouldn't solve everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment